20 September 2007

The Art of Kolam


Kolam brings back nostalgic memories of my mother's and grandmother's beautiful designs and patterns done in our "Vaasal" and puja rooms. Alongwith the whiff of scent of Pavazaamalli flowers and an aroma of coffee!

In the month of Markazhi, creating Kolams used to be a family affair - Amma would be up very early in the morning, would wear a woolen scarf and get on with the designs in the Kolam, me and my sister would sit as guards for amma till she finishes the Kolam. She used to be so deft and all her kolams would be freehand strokes of lines and curves,with a final touch up of Kaavi or terrakota. Krishna Jayanthi would mean lots of Maa Kolam and cute imprints of small feet allover the house!

One (of the things)I failed to learn from my mother is Kolam! I can just manage a few miniature, repetitive designs for the puja room. Nowadays I dont even make an attempt, due to the stock of sticker kolams..

Here in Chennai, the next door neighbour's courtyard used to look colorful with patterns - sometimes with flowers and color kolapodi during special days and festivals.
Till I had a maid "Kasi"-the exclusive "Kolam" designer, coming in every Friday morning and for all the auspicious days.. With her booming voice, every Friday, she would come in around 6 am, demand coffee and get on with the prepartory work for putting a kolam! She is a left hander and has the right proprotions of Kola Podi and rice flour for making her designs.. She is at her creative best and awesome with lines and patterns! People going thro' the street discreetly glance and some stop and see her design.. Every Friday, I grab a cup of coffee to my balcony and have an aerial view of her work! I've already engaged her to put Kolams every Friday and I feel so good about backing up such a person! While taking our vehichles out thro' the gate we are very careful not to spoil the designs and I can feel the neighbour's envy while she "googles" at my vasal!... Ha ha what fun! You can view Kasi's Kolam as above..

2 comments:

  1. We never know what creative and artistic abilities are hidden in each person! If Kasi can create such works of art with just rice flour, imagine what she can do with a pallete and canvas! Apart from imagination, one would also need a sense of geometry and a good steady hand for kolam. You are lucky indeed to have your own personal kolam designer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe she's won prizes in various Kolam competitions. She does it effortlessly and truly gifted

    ReplyDelete